TC falls to Philander Smith, 96-95 in 2OT
Jan 15, 2013 | 1651 views |  0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
TALLADEGA- D’Alvin Brown hit the game winning shot to lead Philander Smith past Talladega College, 96-95 on Monday night.

After a Panther time out, Brown took a TC defender off the dribble to the basket for a layup attempt. TC’s Darrion Booker was called for goaltending, which gave Philander Smith a 96-95 lead with 21.1 left in the game.

“It was crazy,” Brown said. “Talladega didn’t quit fighting. We had to keep our heads up. They gave me the ball and I did something good with it.”

After TC took a timeout to allow head coach Matt Cross to draw up a play, the Panthers made a final defensive stand as they didn’t allow the Tornadoes to get a good look at the basket. Jantzen Carter missed a 3-point attempt with three seconds left on the clock.

“We didn’t guard the way we should have guarded tonight,” TC head coach Matt Cross said. ”We gave up to make open threes in the regular section. Our defense picked up too late. It was too little too late defensively. Then we made bad decisions down the stretch. We had a six-point lead in the first overtime, then we had a one-point lead in the second over time then we made bad decisions and bad fouls. Philander Smith took advantage of it. We dug our self in a hole now, we will see if we can fight out of it the rest of the year.”

The Tornadoes are now 8-7 overall and 2-2 in Gulf Coast Atlantic Conference play.

In the first overtime, Jimmie Davis carried the Tornadoes.

Clayton Busby nailed a 3-pointer to open the overtime period from the left wing to give the Panthers an 83-80 lead.

Davis responded with seven straight points, which included two 3-pointers. The second of his 3-pointers gave TC an 87-83 lead with 2:27 left in the first overtime. The guard also grabbed a offensive rebound off a missed free throw attempt by Booker to give TC an extra possession. Davis found Carter who hit a bank shot to extend the lead to 89-83 with 1:38 left.

Brown scored 19 points for the Panthers on Monday including a 3-pointer with 59 seconds left to cut the TC lead down to 89-86.

TC made a critical mistake in the closing seconds of the first overtime. TC’s Davis fouled Busby while attempting a 3-pointer with 38.9 left in the first overtime. Busby calmly drained all three of the free throws to tie the game at 89-89.

TC had a chance to go for the win, but Carter missed an off balance 3-point attempt to tie the game.

“We stayed motivated,” Brown said. “The bench and our coach kept us up. We are on the road and it is going to be tough games like this. We just kept our heads and came out with a win.”

TC overcame a late five-point deficit to send the game into overtime. Roman Vaughn connected on a putback on a Davis miss with 9.8 left in regulation. Vaughn scored all 22 of his points in regulation for TC.

Keenen Coleman scored 18 points in regulation for TC. The 6-foot-5 senior brought the TC crowd to their feet as he towered over the rim to catch a lob for a one hand throw down. Booker recorded a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds.

Davis scored 13 for the crimson and blue, while Phil Woods dished out eight assists and pulled down eight rebounds, while scoring four points for TC.

Juvon Demerson dominated the paint for the Panthers in regulation. He scored 22 points pulled down seven boards before fouling out with 6:00 left in the second half.