The budget presented by Chief Financial Officer Tina Paris projects revenues this year of $21,508,229, with expenditures of $21,756,570.
The deficit for the coming year will be slightly lower than the one for the current fiscal year, she said.
Although the board will have to dip into reserve funding to cover expenses, Paris said they have not had to break into any certificates of deposit. The CDs total over $3 million.
“We’re certainly open to any suggestions, but I think we’ve cut just about everything back to the minimum,” she said.
Board member Shirley Simmons-Sims congratulated Paris on the work she did and for always making it “so easy to understand your answers.”
Also Monday, the board:
• Heard a complaint from a parent about the decreased number of school bus stops in Westgate Homes.
• Accepted checks of $1,000 each from Rep. Barbara Boyd for C.L. Salter and Houston Elementary Schools.
• Unanimously approved a field trip request for first graders from Salter to visit the Tennessee Aquarium.
• Approved a contract for a school interventionist with two other systems.
• Approved Talladega High School Principal Darren Anglin’s contract. Anglin had been on leave of absence for military service.
• Approved coaching supplements 4-0, with board member Bonnie Miller abstaining.
• Hired Hillary Hathcox as history teacher at Talladega High School.
• Hired Sarah Crenshaw as fifth grade teacher at Houston.
• Accepted the resignation of Robert L. Walker.
Contact Chris Norwood at firstname.lastname@example.org