Kim Williams, the curriculum coordinator for the school system, said the system will purchase 60 laptop computers with the grant money to help set up two mobile computer labs for Williams Intermediate School.
School officials said the Appalachian Regional Commission will fund the grant.
Currently, Williams Intermediate School has two stationary desktop labs and one mobile computer lab.
Williams said teachers can check out the computers for classroom instruction, which are used to help improve students math and reading skills. The school will also use the new computers for it summer enrichment program.
In other matters Tuesday night, the board:
• Accepted the resignations of Pell City High School math teacher Michelle Sanders, Duran South Junior High School math teacher Darius Williams, transportation secretary June Thomason.
• Accepted the retirement request from maintenance helper Edward Cunningham.
• Approved to hire the following people: Vera Scholfield as a Pell City High School math teacher, Jenniffer McGlaughn as a Pell City High School varsity assistant softball coach and math teacher, Spencer Stone as a Duran South Junior High School career explorations teacher, Chauntiel Carr as a Pell City High School majorette sponsor, Carla Callahan as a Eden Elementary School teacher, Michael Johnson as a Walter M. Kennedy Elementary School physical education teacher, Ashlie Clayton as a Pell City High School science teacher, Anna Carpenter as a Pell City High School choral/show choir director, Michelle Shelton as a Duran North Junior High School newspaper sponsor, Cherith Fluker as a junior high school football and basketball cheerleader sponsor, Harold Wisdom as a junior high school wrestling coach, Adam Ross as a Pell City High School assistant football coach, James Causey as a Duran South Junior High School head football coach, Eiline Harmon and Chanda Tucker as lunchroom workers.
• Approved the reassignments of Amy Clardy from Eden Elementary School first-grade to third-grade; Gale Lackey from Eden Elementary School third-grade to second-grade; and Tanya Osborne from a Williams Intermediate School multi-needs special education teacher to a resource special education teacher.
• Approved the following transfers: Tammy Mitchell a media specialist at Iola Roberts elementary school to a media specialist at the Pell City High School; Andrew Jackson from a special education teacher at Rise Academy to a Eden Elementary School teacher; Patricia Foshee from a special education at Duran North Junior High School to a special education teacher at the Pell City High School; Ruth Borders from a special education teacher at Pell City High School to a special education teacher at Duran South Junior High School; and Myrus Strong from an assistant principal at Williams Intermediate School to a coordinator of student services at the central office.
• Approved to add Imojean Crumpton and Sara Beth Saruse to the substitute teachers list.
• Approved to add Lisa Bynum to the substitute lunchroom worker list.
• Approved contracts for Dee Doss and Laura Eden as summer enrichment teachers at Williams Intermediate School, and a contract with Lewis Kirksey as a bus driver trainer.
• Approved to change the Pell City High School fall band auxiliary sponsor supplement from 4 to 6 points and the winter guard sponsor supplement from 4 to 6 points.
• Approved to change the Pell City High School drama club sponsor supplement from 5 to 10 points.
• Approved a revision to a previously approved contract to correct the name of the service provider from Hand, LLC to Alabama Autism Assistance Program.
• Approved a request to join the Purchasing Association of Central Alabama through the Child Nutrition Program.
• Approved Champion sports Medicine/St. Vincent’s Sports Medicine/Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Center for the athletic training and sports medicine service for the Pell City school system.
• Approved to change the Pell City High School boys and girls varsity soccer supplement from 6 to 10 points and the boys and girls B-Team soccer supplement from 4 to 6 points.
• Approved a Pell City High School dance line sponsor supplement for 6 points.
• Announced that the next regularly scheduled board meeting is at 6 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 20.
Contact David Atchison at email@example.com