Children in costumes descend on downtown Talladega for Halloween
by Chris Norwood
Oct 31, 2012 | 1526 views |  0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Natasha Carr holds the hand of her son, Bowe Carr, age 4, while Sharron Morgan of First National Bank gives him candy at Talladega’s Halloween event on the square Wednesday evening. Photo by Brian Schoenhals/The Daily Home
Natasha Carr holds the hand of her son, Bowe Carr, age 4, while Sharron Morgan of First National Bank gives him candy at Talladega’s Halloween event on the square Wednesday evening. Photo by Brian Schoenhals/The Daily Home
slideshow
TALLADEGA – An impressive crowd of witches, princesses, superheroes, Power Rangers, zombies, skeletons and fictional serial killers descended on Talladega’s historic Court House Square to trick or treat for Halloween.

According to Talladega Police Capt. Leon Thomas, trick or treaters were lining up around the square an hour before the event officially began at 5:30 p.m., and candy was already being handed out by 5 p.m. Some of the vendors had actually run out of treats by 6 p.m.

Still, candy shortages notwithstanding, the event was deemed a success by most of the participants.

Ashley and B.J. from Lincoln attended with their two daughters for the first time this year. “They loved it, especially getting to see a Bat Girl and a couple of other Minnie Mouses,” Ashley said. “We’ll definitely by back next year.”

Talladega native Jeremy Welch also accompanied two young daughters to the event. “They’ve been before, but this is my first time taking them,” he said. “They didn’t have anything like this when I was their age. But it’s a good thing. You’re right here in the middle of town instead of walking around different neighborhoods. We’ll be doing this again.”

Welch stated a recurring theme for the evening.

Chris and Tonya from Talladega and their daughter, along with Michael and his son from Anniston, were also attending their first trick or treat on the square.

“It’s a really good thing; it’s very safe,” Chris said. “It’s just a safer environment for the kids.”

Roxanne from Talladega, escorting two sons, agreed. “Anytime you can get the city paying for something, it’s a good thing. And going door to door is just not safe anymore unless you know all the people you’re going to. It’s not like it was when I was younger.”

She said this year was her family’s third year trick or treating on the square.

Attendance numbers were not available Wednesday night, but based on the size of the crowds queuing up around the candy vendors, the crowd was likely compatible with last year’s triumph. The number of vendors was down slightly, however.

Contact Chris Norwood at cnorwood@dailyhome.com