“It’s very humbling,” Carden said Wednesday. “It’s not something you can achieve on your own. I am surrounded by a great group of guys and gals.”
Police Chief Greg Turley said Carden was awarded the department’s highest award at a special ceremony during a promotional testing when his peers were present.
“The officers were nominated by their peers based on their performance, productivity, community involvement and willingness to go over and beyond the call-of-duty,” Turley said. “We are very lucky to have him, and he is very deserving of this award. I really mean that.”
Turley said Carden has worked with the Pell City Police Department for eight years, serving as a patrol officer, DARE/SRO officer, drill instruction, SWAT team member, sniper, corporal, Explorer mentor and detective.
Other officers who were nominated for awards by their peers were:
• Cpl. James Jones, who received The Roy A. Davis Memorial Award for demonstrating passion for the law enforcement profession.
• Officer Autumn Garlick, who received The Officer Greg Surles Memorial Award for demonstrating outstanding service to the community. This is the second time Garlick has won the award.
• Cpl. Richard Woods and Officer Chris Norris, who both received the Meritorious Service Award for distinguished and outstanding meritorious achievements in 2012.
• Officer Jessie Burgos, who received the Distinguished Service Award for his outstanding commitment and results to numerous tasks, missions and community operations.
• PSA David Hurst, who received the Lt. Commander Ned Smith Volunteer Service Award for his dedicated serve as a volunteer with the Pell City Police Department and the community.
The Police Department currently has 32 full-time officers, eight part-time officers, three full-time non-sworn officers, four public safety aids and seven volunteers.
“I commend the entire department on their performance in 2012,” Turley said, adding that every member of the agency, both sworn and non-sworn, is worthy of several awards. “Being nominated by your peers for these specific awards is a true honor and demonstrates the excellence of our agency and staff.”
Contact David Atchison at firstname.lastname@example.org.